Saturday, December 24, 2011

My Worst Christmas Ever


My latest story, entitled, My Worst Christmas Ever, is available from Untreed Reads dot com.

Now this is a true story, or as we say in the industry (doesn’t that sound at least mildly pretentious, in the industry?) Well, it’s a BOAT story. Not that it has anything to do with ships, mind you. BOAT is an acronym meaning based on a true… so it’s based on a true story.

The story as written is true, in that the events are accurate, and this did happen to me, and it happened as I explain it did. But, being a writer, I do take some literary license. But that does not weaken or taint the story’s intent, nor does it lie about the outcome. All the people in the story are real, and they did all react the way they did as the story unfolds.

You’ll see after reading the tale, just why I felt it was my worst holiday, and I think you’ll also agree with that evaluation. You’ll also see why, after many years, that event sticks in my mind, and you’ll understand why I changed my mind about it many years later.

The odd part is that I look back now and still believe I was right to feel the way I did at the time. I was miserable, and justifiably so. Today, I feel very pleased by what happened that night, and I’m every bit as justified in those feelings, even though they are one-hundred-eighty degrees from what I felt at the time.

In other words: I was right to feel the way I did then, and I’m right to feel the way I do now. Even though the two feelings—separated by forty years—are diametrically opposed to each other.

How can that be, you’re asking. You are asking that, aren’t you?

Well, I guess you’ll just have to go to http://store.untreedreads.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=vanore

and find out. There’s a half-price sale today only, so the story costs just 75 cents to download. You’ll see why it was my worst Christmas ever.

Or was it?

You know, we writers can never really make up our minds.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment